Morris and the Tiwi College have partnered to launch a healthy eating campaign for the Tiwi people. The Taste it, Live it, Do it campaign involves a host of activities over a 24 month period designed to engage the Melville Island community and promote healthy eating and activity in a way that blends innovation and tradition.
About the Campaign
The main objectives for the campaign include:
- Training and evaluation of core competencies pertaining to safe and nutritious delivery of food service;
- Developing knowledge and skills to hunt and collect traditional bush tucker;
- Key information delivery that allows students to self-assess nutritional and cost effectiveness of meals;
- Providing and developing skills required for personal and interpersonal health screening.
- Educate and provide preventative solutions.
Did you know?
“.. The average mortality rate for a Tiwi male is 45 years old. Tiwi Islands has one of the highest rates of renal failure and kidney disease in the world ..”
Anecdotal evidence from Tiwi elders along with medical professionals’ opinions strongly suggests that a return to bush tucker diets can counteract the onset of type two diabetes.
See pics of the launch at http://www.facebook.com/Morriscorp